What are the password requirements for hosted Exchange accounts?
Password for hosted Exchange mailboxes must meet complexity requirements.
Complexity rules for passwords on hosted Exchange accounts
- A password must not contain all or part of the user's display name or email address.
- Minimum password length is eight (8) characters.
- The password must contain characters from three (3) of the following five (5) categories:
- English uppercase letters (A-Z)
- English lowercase letters (a-z)
- Numbers (0-9)
- Special characters (e.g. ! $ # %)
- Unicode characters that do not fall into one of the above categories (e.g., a Japanese character or Russian letter)
- Password history is enabled, and users are not able to re-use any of their last 4 passwords.
- Passwords can be either entered manually or generated automatically. A password meter pop-up checks if the password meets complexity requirements and determines if the password can be considered strong with the colored bars.